Thursday, July 10, 2008

It is baseball season!

This year, the twins were blessed with great coaches. The boys literally wake up excited about practicing and wanting to play non-stop. Tonight their team won the pre-qualifying game to get them into the County Tournament, so in honor of their win I thought I'd post some fun baseball quotes for them!

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. ~George F. Will

Don't forget to swing hard, in case you hit the ball. ~Woodie Held

It is well to remember that a Martian observing his first baseball game would be quite correct in concluding that the last two words of the National Anthem are: PLAY BALL! ~Herbert H. Paper

During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

A ball player's got to be kept hungry to become a big-leaguer. That's why no boy from a rich family ever made the big leagues. ~Joe DiMaggio

Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field? ~Jim Bouton

Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray

Baseball is the only sport I know that when you're on offense, the other team controls the ball. ~Ken Harrelson

A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings. ~Earl Wilson

There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit. ~Al Gallagher

A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. ~Jim Bouton, Ball Four, 1970


COVERING ALL THE BASES

A little boy was overheard talking to himself as he strode through his backyard,
baseball cap in place, while toting ball and bat.
"I'm the greatest baseball player in the world", he said proudly.

Then he tossed the ball into the air, swung and missed.

Undaunted, he picked up the ball, threw it into the air and said to himself,
"I'm the greatest player ever!"

He swung at the ball again, and again he missed.

He paused a moment to examine bat and ball carefully.
Then once again he threw the ball into the air and said,
"I'm the greatest baseball player who ever lived!"

He swung the bat hard and missed the ball yet again.

"Wow!" he exclaimed. "What a pitcher
!"

No comments: